Celebrating Cinco de Mayo by making (and eating!) yummy Mexican snacks is a great way to introduce your kids to a new culture. Here are some tasty Cinco de Mayo snacks ideas that get our mouths watering just writing about them!
- Mexican Flag Fruit Skewers from Party Pinching Use the colors of the Mexican flag to create a delicious fruit skewer with strawberry, marshmallow and a green grape.
- Churro Chips from Small Fry. Deep fry strips of tortillas and then toss with cinnamon sugar.
- Sombrero Pinata Cookies from Tablespoon.Traditional sugar cookie makes the brim. Sugar cookie dough is rolled into balls and placed in a mini muffin pan, then the ball is pressed to form a “nest. Once baked these become the top of the sombrero. A little decoration and you have a beautiful snack.
- Rice Krispies treats Maracas by KidFriendlyThingsToDo.com. Cute Rice Krispie Treats dyed red and green molded into a Maracas shape and mounted on a pretzel stick. Piped white icing decorations finish it off.
- Super Easy Sombrero Cookies from RandomThoughtsOfASupermom.com. What could be easier than a sugar cookie with a colorful gumdrop in the center? A piped white icing rim and some colorful sprinkles seal the deal.
- Individual 7 layer dip in clear plastic cups From TheGirlWhoAteEverything!.com. Make individual seven layer dip in clear plastic cups. Kids will love to dip their chips in this delicious snack.
- Fruit Salsa with Baked Cinnamon Sugar Chip Bowls for KidFriendlyThingsToDo.com. A colorful and nutritious fruit salsa served with home
- Oreo Cookie Taco from SheKnows.com. This is made using Golden Oreo cookies cut in half and then separated, chocolate icing and crushed peanut butter cups for the “meat”, colored coconut for the “lettuce” and Hot Tamale candies for the tomatoes.
- Tacos. Prepare and set-up all the ingredients in a row or circle. Kids can assemble their own tacos.
- Sopapillas. Have kids spread butter on flour tortillas then sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Bake 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes
- Flag Snack. Using strips of red and green peppers, dip them into ranch dressing
- Cheesy Nachos. Sprinkle nachos with cheese. Bake 350 degrees until cheese is melted
- Burritos. Gather the refried beans, cheese, salsa and have the children assemble the burrito on a small flour tortilla
- Quesadillas. An easy recipe for the children to complete. An adult would need to grill them, but the children could easily assemble them.
- Salsa. Another easy, kid-friendly recipe.
- Guacamole. Have the kids mash the avocados
- Luaqueda. Make a Mexican smoothie using frozen fruit juice, milk, banana, and other fruit. Just blend everything together and garnish with some fresh fruit. A real kid pleaser.
We hope these recipes give you some great ideas for a yummy Cinco de Mayo celebration in your family!